Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Research Services

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA)

The Intergovernmental Personnel Agreement or IPA program is managed by the Federal government’s Office of Personnel Management (OPM). For more information, CLICK HERE.

The program provides for the temporary assignment of personnel between the Federal Government and state and local governments, colleges and universities, Indian (Native American) tribal governments, federally-funded research and development centers, and other eligible organizations, including Non-Profit Research Corporations/ Foundations (NPCs) at each VA facility. IPAs allows for assignments to be made for people who work outside the VA to be paid with VA research funds. These agreements are normally used to acquire research expertise from a variety of sources including affiliated universities and NPCs when the required knowledge/experience is not readily available from normal VA recruitment channels, especially when seeking the help/paid collaboration from a non-citizen.

CLICK HERE to download an IPA Assignment Agreement.  The sections in yellow will need to be updated.

Things to remember about IPAs:

  1. IPA’s are initiated by the University of Michigan.  Begin by contacting your UM administrator.  IPAs will need to be routed through the PAF system.  More information can be found at UM's website.
  2. The Employee must have been a permanent employee of their current employer for a minimum of 90 days before being eligible for an IPA.
  3. IPAs may be used for part-time, full-time, short-term, or long-term employment.

For additional assistance, contact the following IPA specialists:
Research Office:                      CCMR:
LaShawn Cooley                     Theresa Spencer 
Joe Johnson
Erin Chlebowski-Lopez

You will also need to be on-boarded as an IPA detail appointee.
Please download and fill out the IPA packet.  Follow the instructions and return to as directed.
IPA Booklet