Without Compensation (WOC) Employees - VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Research Services
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Research Services


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Without Compensation (WOC) Employees

A Research Service Without Compensation (WOC) employee is an individual who performs research-related duties without any direct monetary compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Individuals requiring WOC appointments include, but are not limited to, students, university employees, non-paid interns, fellows, residents, other non-VA employees working at VA sites, personnel on Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPAs) appointments, volunteers, and visiting scientists who are not compensated by the VA for their employment.

Please download the appropriate application packet and complete all required forms and training, as applicable. Both packets have fillable forms that can be signed electronically.

For new WOC applicants: Packet for new WOC applicants Employee Health Package
For WOC renewals: Packet for WOC renewals  

Once you have completed all forms and training and had either your supervisor or principal investigator sign the appropriate forms, schedule an in-processing meeting with the Research Program Support Assistant/WOC Coordinator, Zhoie Bigham at Zhoie.Bigham@va.gov.  

After your forms have been received and validated, applicants will be contact by the Human Resources Department for on-boarding, fingerprinting, a background check, and an employee health visit.

If you have any questions that aren’t addressed here or in the packets, please contact Zhoie Bigham at Zhoie.Bigham@va.gov or 734-845-5600.