VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Research Services
VA Paid Research Employees
Investigators planning to hire new VA employees need to contact Lizzy Koester (Elizabeth.Koester@va.gov) as soon as possible. The hiring process can occur quickly, or it may take a couple of months depending on the type of position and whether or not the position already exists in research.
Your administrative research office will work with you to:
- Identify the type of position that is applicable for your needs
- Complete a Position Description (PD) or Functional Statement
- Ensure the PD is classified, if not previously classified or not classified in the last two years
- Review and approve a posting for USAJOBS
- Manage the selection process.
Some notes about hiring within the Research Service at VAAAHCS:
- The mission of the VA includes the Veterans Preference Program. Qualified veterans will be provided the opportunity for employment before other qualified candidates are considered.
- The Research Service also hires intermittent staff. These staff do not have assigned hours, and do not have any associated benefits. Their appointment will not exceed 1 year.
- Orientation, which is mandatory for new staff, occurs every two weeks with start dates aligning with the beginning of each pay period.
A non-competitive process for placement of individuals. These individuals do not have to compete with non-status applicants and therefore do not have to apply to an delegated examining announcement
|Term Appointment||Appointment for more than 1 year, but less than 4. Available for internal and external candidates. Will not acquire permanent status.|
|Temporary Limited||Appointment for 1 year or less and may be extended for an additional year. Available for internal and external candidates. Will not acquire permanent status.|
For Students/New Graduates, also see the VA Pathways Program.