VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Research Services
VA Paid Research Employees
Investigators planning to hire new VA employees need to contact their administrative research office as soon as possible. The hiring process can occur quickly, or it may take a couple of months depending on the type of position and whether or not the position already exists in research.
Your administrative research office can work with you to:
- Identify the type of position that is applicable for your needs
- Complete of a Position Description (PD) or Functional Statement
- Ensure the PD is classified, if not previously classified or not classified in the last two years
- Review and approve a posting for USAJOBS
- Manage the selection process.
The Research Service has an assigned HR representative to support the hiring and labor management processes.
Some notes about hiring within the Research Service at VAAAHCS:
- The mission of the VA includes the Veterans Preference Program. Qualified veterans will be provided the opportunity for employment before other qualified candidates are considered.
- The research service typically hires applicants into “term limited” or “temporary” positions. Term limited for positions that are expected to exceed 1 year, and temporary for those not expected to exceed a year. Term limited positions have associated benefits, temporary positions are eligible for benefits if the position exceeds 1 year and 1 day.
- The Research Service also hires intermittent staff. These staff do not have assigned hours, and do not have any associated benefits.
- Orientation for new staff occurs every two weeks with start dates aligning with the beginning of each pay period.
- Except in rare cases, all positions are posted for competitive hiring. Postings may be listed only for current internal staff, current federal employees, and/or publicly through the delegated examining unit (DEU). Human Resources reviews all candidates and provides resumes to the hiring service for only those candidates deemed qualified based on the PD or functional statement. Any veterans preference - eligible candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position will be presented first for consideration.
For Students/New Graduates, also see the VA Pathways Program.